Two days ago, a friend of mine invited me to go to our mutual friend's concert recital in Paco Park. Since I didn't have class on that day, my unsung, adventurous soul said yes immediately.
I didn't know what to expect because I have never been around on that part of Manila so I expected, "Oh its park... filled with trees and grass and flowers and what not." I was wrong. Paco Park turned out to be the place I read in my history books during elementary where the Philippines' national hero, Jose Rizal, was originally buried. Bravo to the people who were able to maintain that marvelous historical landmark. They made a few changes but my god, it still took my breath away.
Paco Park used to be a cemetery where all the victims of the cholera outbreak were taken to their last destination. When Jose Rizal was killed through firing squad, they dumped his body here and was guarded for days by the Guardia Civil so nobody could dig Rizal's body and give him a proper Catholic burial.
The place had a sad history but that's what drew me in. Thousands and thousands had walked the same spot or path I took as we went around. Many had cried and suffered. My mind could imagine the scenes but not seeing them with my own two eyes made me want more.
The tragic part was the vandalization of some uncivilized creatures. There were writings on the walls and a lot of the headstones, that were left behind after excavating the remains because of God knows what, were colored with markers, crayons and other kinds of coloring materials unknown to my eyes. Another thing to be sad about a sad place with a sad history.
![]() |
| "Osario" (c) Brian Maestro |
![]() |
| They kept the tiny Church closed. UGH (c) Brian Maestro |
I also got to try some street food before the show started. My dear friend, Ate Abi, and I got hungry and she knew a place not far from the park and so we went. I thought the Supreme Court building was De La Salle University-Main. STUPIDITY. I'M SO SORRY. AHAHAHA
As for the show, the serenity and beauty of Paco Park made the whole thing absolutely perfect. They even sang a Bicol song, "Sarong Banggi/Isang Gabi" but translated it to Tagalog. I didn't mind though, the performance brought back memories back when I was still living in Naga. <3
We were supposed to eat somewhere in Malate or in Magallanes but our "driver" for the day, Kuya Kaka, got lazy and brought us to his house instead. I had no complaints. The barbecue was HUGE and DELICIOUS. It made tummy very happy. :))
Best of it all was the bonding I got to have with the two people who I greatly respect, Kuya Charles "Kaka" Bautista and Ate Abilene "Abi" Rovero. Kuya Kaka was part of the first ever Legal Management batch and former Editor-in-Chief of the college school paper I'm part of. He was one of the people responsible for shaping and making what San Beda College-Alabang is today. I would always hope to meet him and now he is my friend. *FANGIRLING* =)) Ate Abi was the Managing Editor of the college school paper when she graduated. Everyone said that I was sort of a reincarnation of her and I found that as an extreme compliment.
We talked about how everything was when it was their time in San Beda; from their fights and issues until to their misadventures and bondings, they did not hold back. We got home around 3am and I did not regret it even if I had class for Income Taxation at 8am. Sacrificing hours of sleep for that experience was WORTH IT.


No comments:
Post a Comment