| (me with my choco mango caske from Aggy's bakery<3) |
soooo yeah. I'm 18 years old. WOW. All I could think about when I woke up first thing in the morning was how much stuff has happened within the course of a year. Turning the big 1-8 was not a big deal honestly... Well, maybe just a little. :))
I hid my birth date in Facebook because of a lot of reasons. I guess number one was that I did not want to be reminded that I'm not just a year old but also, presumably, a "lady" now. I was no longer a child as popular belief may describe. This fact was quite nerve-wrecking to me. :| I remember telling my mom during my 9th birthday that I did not want to grow up. I wanted to be an 8-year old forever and yet here I am... 18. WOW.
Second reason why I hid it was to do the same thing other friends had done before, TO PROVE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY REMEMBER. I needed to see who would actually remember and make an effort to greet me even if it was only because they saw that someone greeted me on their FB timeline. Only a handful greeted me this year unlike last year where I received hundreds (my birth date was still exposed), mostly from people I don't know entirely or I haven't seen or spoke to in YEARS. No surprise there. I expected nothing. All I wished for was a cake and a ticket going home to my birthplace. :) Seriously, that was all I asked for. I got them and more but before I go into details, I would like to speak about the growing trend which I would like to call, "The FB Birthday Reminder."
A lot of us depend on Facebook now to know the simplest things happening in other people's lives like their birthdays. I am guilty of this and I cannot blame those people who are separated and has nothing else but social networking sites to use for communication purposes; however, is this truly enough reason to not know a person's birthday? I believe in what Maria Ressa (one of the few people in the entire Earth who I absolutely admire) said that the advance technology we have today has brought to us immense power and insurmountable opportunities. Are we not capable to handle this new power bestowed upon us?
Don't get me wrong. I am not bitter. I only wished for a cake and a ticket home and I got them both so I'm a happy camper but... yeah. The question is still there. I ask the same thing too because I'm one of those individuals. I really don't bother remembering other people's birthday anymore. Usually I purposely forget them; even the birthdays of the persons I've known for almost a decade and more.
I assume it is because most people don't bother either.
(Then again, some still do to me.)
Maybe I have turned into this self-absorbed person who cares only for my own survival and benefit.
(Hhmmm, I don't think so.)
My attitude of intentionally forgetting a person's birthday might be caused by the also growing trend of people not giving a shit.
(This sounds a bit close to home.)
Come on. Nobody really gives a shit anymore. These days its about survival of the fittest. If you are weak, there will be no one to hold your hand, pull you back up and fight against the harmful attacks of life beside you. Nah, those days are over. Today, everyone looks out for themselves. You cannot trust anyone but yourself. This is whats happening now to the world if not yet become of it. How sad of a world it is.
Why would there be so much casualties in the form of suicide? Why are there so many people going through the day without food, water, decent clothing and shelter? Why can't there be peace? BECAUSE NO ONE FUCKING GIVES A SHIT, NOT ENOUGH.
This may sound preachy or what not but it connects does it not? Your opinion may differ and I welcome that. Be my guest and speak out loud. I will not judge you for exercising your natural liberty to say what you believe and using the mind and intellect the Almighty God has given to you. I would love to ask dear reader, like how I respect your view, to do the same. Voice out what you feel but do not condemn mine because I assure you I will not condemn yours. I promise you.
And I'm completely out of topic and went to another world. How normal of me. :))
I celebrated with my family by the way :)) We had chicken, spaghetti, pizza, ice cream and choco mango cake a.k.a. typical Filipino birthday celebration. I'm happy with the simplicity of everything during my 18th birthday. Less stress. :)
| (me with my baby cousins helping me blow my candles) |
| (AREN'T THEY JUST ADORABLE? My sister is the one holding the other kid :D) |
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete